Before you even get to ASTD ICE in Denver, make sure you’re ready. Check out our previous blog post on how to get in for free, find cheap parking and resources to help get you ready to optimize your experience.
Keep these handy: The Lookbook lets you know what is happening and the Learnbook allows you to keep track of what you are doing with space for notes and plenty of additional information to assist with learning transfer. Keep a lookout for the Daily Newspaper, a handout found around the convention center, which contains “up to the print moment” changes in sessions and other event announcements.
So by now you’ve downloaded the conference app (ASTD Events) to your smart device and picked out your favorite sessions to attend, you know to pack layers for the Denver weather and you’ve already started to make networking plans. Make sure you know about all of this as well:
- Jim Collins – the most buzzed about keynote. You were probably planning on going to this anyway but many agree that this is one session you should not miss.
- “Networking Night” on Tuesday, May 8, starting at 7:00 PM – A celebration to kick things off in Mile High Stadium (home of the Denver Bronco’s.) Purchase tickets for $75 and learn more on this site.
- Two Pavilions – areas at the conference specifically focused on training, learning and development within the topics of Government and Sales Enablement.
- Book signings – Over 30 of today’s foremost thought leaders and authors will be on hand for book signings. Be aware of this schedule as many of the authors will be speaking in mini sessions as well. Don’t forget to go to the bookstore first to pick up books to be signed.
- ASTD Community of Practice Networking Events – See this site for more information.
- New Community of Practice Model, Unveiled – Something for everyone. A new way of helping ASTD members find content, conferences and offerings tailored to their individual needs, while also helping them to engage with their peers. See this site for more information.
- The Connection Center – Found in the Expo; a good place to learn more about the Community of Practice Model, grab some coffee or learn about how ASTD partners are advancing the learning, training and development fields in 3rd world countries.
- Free Prizes – We’re hearing rumors of a team of spotters, tasked with giving out free prizes ranging in value from $10.00 to $4,000.00 including tickets to the networking night, lifetime memberships to ASTD and passes to future conferences. Not to mention all of the prizes and giveaways that can be found at the Expo.
- Events at the Expo – Speaking of the Expo, you won’t believe the amount of learning value you will find in this Wonderland. In addition to the vendor booths there will be countless events including speed mentoring (Monday @ 11:00 AM & Tues @ 12:30 PM. See more details in the Learnbook) and various in-Expo sessions including a talk by Ken Blanchard at the Blanchard booth on Monday, May 7th @ 10 AM on the topic of “Always in Style, The Core Principles of Situational Leadership” followed by a book signing complete with photo opportunities of you and Ken at 10:30 AM.
- ICE Meltdown Flashmob – Keep a lookout for this event that sounds interesting, rumored to be on Monday, May 7th @ 7PM. Watch for details on the Twitter Hashtag #ASTD12 (Note this is not the hashtag #ASTD2012)
- The Backchannel – Curated by the King of the Backchannel, David Kelly on his blog. This will benefit you regardless of whether you are in physical attendance at the conference.
- Orientation – If this is your first time going to ASTD ICE then you’ll benefit from one of the three orientation sessions:
- Newcomers Orientation – Saturday @ 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM in the Four Seasons Ballroom 4
- International Orientation – Sunday @ 9:00 AM – 10:15 AM in the Four Seasons Ballroom 2/3
- Newcomers Orientation – Sunday @ 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM in the Four Seasons Ballroom 4
…More to come as we continue to add to this list!
Don’t forget to look at the L & D Global Events Calendar for known Tweet Ups and other extra events around the conference!
Check out these blogs for more ASTD ICE 2012 planning information: